All courses offered in the department are assessed by 100% coursework. Coursework may include essays, research papers, tests, participation in tutorials and seminars, oral presentations, and other work as specified by the course instructor.
The Major in Fine Arts (2012-13 and after)
Students who enter HKU in 2012-13 or after who wish to major in Fine Arts must normally complete the following requirements:
- Complete one 1000-level 6-credit Fine Arts course
- Complete 12 credits of introductory courses from any Arts programme(s) (which may include additional credits in 1000-level Fine Arts courses)
- Complete 54 credits of Fine Arts courses from among those offered at the 2000-, 3000-, and 4000-levels, of which:
– 6 credits must be the course FINE2081 Art History and Its Methods
– 6 credits must be in Western art
– 6 credits must be in Asian art
– 6 credits must be in 3000-level courses (12 credits for students entering before 2016)
– 6 credits must be in a 4000-level course to fulfill the capstone requirement
The Minor in Fine Arts (2012-13 and after)
Students who enter HKU in 2012-13 or after who wish to minor in Fine Arts must normally complete the following requirements:
- Complete one 6-credit Fine Arts course at the 1000-level
- Complete 30 credits of Fine Arts courses from among those offered at the 2000- and 3000-levels
For complete regulations, please consult the Arts Faculty’s B.A. syllabus.
Courses Offered by Other Teaching Departments
To fulfull the credit requirements of the major/minor in Fine Arts, students may also take AFRI2008 offered by the School of Modern Languages and Cultures. Please approach the relevant office for the course details and availability.
Faculty Cap Policy on Credit Transfer
(effective from 2014-15 onwards)
This policy is applicable to:
- all HKU students admitted to the 4-year curriculum in 2012-13 and thereafter, who take any Arts major/ minor; and
- those who go on outgoing academic exchange from 2014-15 onwards.
Up to 50% of the transferred credits to HKU can be counted towards each of the Arts major/ minor requirements. In other words, students should complete at least 50% of each of the Arts major/ minor requirements at HKU.
- Max. no. of exchange credits allowed to be transferred to HKU:
Arts Major: 36 credits
Arts Minor: 18 credits
- Min. no. of credits completed at HKU:
Arts Major: 36 or 42 credits
Arts Minor: 18 credits
- Total no. of credits:
Arts Major: 72 or 78 credits
Arts Minor: 36 credits
Transferred credits in excess of the cap as approved by the major/ minor offering Programme(s) will be counted as free elective(s) for the undergraduate degree only.
It should be noted that the above policy does not affect BA students who take non-Arts major/minors. Students concerned are required to comply with regulations or policies of respective faculties.