The MAAH aims to provide the advanced art historical training needed to prepare for doctoral study in art history or for curatorial work in museums and other art institutions. We especially welcome applications from university students in art history and from professionals already working in museum and other art-related fields. If you are coming from another field of study or work, we will consider applicants who have a strong academic foundation and significant art-related experience. For all applicants, a high level of English language ability is necessary. We admit a maximum of only 20 students per year, so admission is competitive.
All applications must be submitted through the university’s online MA admission portal (at http://www.aal.hku.hk/tpg). That site includes all the forms needed for an application. Please submit the admission form and scholarship application form through the portal and email other supporting documents to the department at email@example.com.
All applicants must submit the following documents:
- the application form (through the online portal)
- a statement of purpose (no more than 1,000 words)
- their c.v. or resumé
- a copy of their university transcript(s)
- an academic or professional writing sample in English (no more than 5,000 words, including footnotes and bibiliography)
- the scholarship application form (through the online portal, if applying for financial aid)
- relevant financial documents (if applying for financial aid)
The following documents should be sent directly to the Department of Fine Arts:
- two reference reports (by email)
- original paper transcript(s) (if required, by mail)
- original TOEFL or IELTS reports (if required, by mail)
All application forms and detailed instructions are available from the central MA admission portal.
Applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by June 15, 2020 to ensure consideration for admission in September 2020. Original transcripts and TOEFL/IELTS reports should arrive by post within two weeks of this deadline. Late applications may be considered at the discretion of the department. We expect to begin sending out admission offers in early March, continuing until all places have been filled and formally accepted.
Some scholarship assistance is available based on financial need (see “Scholarships” on the menu to the left). If you wish to apply for a scholarship, you should submit the scholarship application and supporting documents at the same time as the application for admission.