Current Undergraduate

Concerning course enrollment

Yes, you can, especially if you are considering declaring a major in Fine Arts. To major in Fine Arts, you will need to complete at least one 1000-level Fine Arts course. Besides, some 2000- and 3000- level courses have a prerequisite of one 1000-level Fine Arts course.


Classes are opened for enrollments at certain times before the semester begins. You will receive notification of when this is possible to enroll by the University. Depending on whether you fulfill the prerequisites, classes are opened to students who are interested in the classes. It is opened on a first come first served structure and you may find yourself rejected at this time if the class is full. After the initial enrollment period, students can still register for classes if there is space available and/or may be placed on a pending list. For some classes, preference is given to majors, minors and exchange students who do not have access to early enrollments.

During the add-drop period, the number of students registered will fluctuate. A pending status indicates that you have not yet been accepted into the course.

Before taking any 4000-level course, students must complete at least four Fine Arts courses at the 2000- and 3000-level, at least one of which must be at the 3000-level. In order to this this particular 4000-level course, you have to get an approval from one of our faculty members. This course is designed for those who are seriously considering further studies in Art History. Students in this course will work very closely with the supervisor. You have to discuss with your potential supervisor and get an approval of supervision before the course enrollment period. Notice only full time faculty will be involved in this course.

FINE2056 (Museum Studies Workshop) is a pre-requisite for taking FINE4005 (Museum Studies Internship). Notice the course FINE2056 has a pre-requisite too. It requires successful completion of one 1000-level Fine Arts course.

Concerning major and minor

You will have to declare at least one major at the beginning of the second year of study. You may change your declared major(s)/minor(s) during the course selection period from the third to seventh semester. Please read more details here

Yes, you can, as long as you meet the prerequisite requirements and that the course is not full, you are eligible to enroll. Nevertheless, 4000- level courses are mainly seminar classes and in order to optimize the discussion environment for students, the class size is usually kept smaller than lower level courses.

No. As long as the 30 credits are from the “2000- and 3000- level” category, you meet the requirement. In other words, all five courses could be 2000-level courses.

Concerning credit transfer

Your first contact should be the Faculty of Arts. Your question may be redirected to either the School or to the Undergraduate Coordinator.

In the email that you write to the Undergraduate Coordinator, you should attach the course syllabus(es)/ detailed course outline(s), which should state the total number of contact hours (in lectures, tutorials, etc.), weekly schedule, reference list, assessment methods and credit/ unit weighting of course(s) at the host institution, etc.


Plagiarism is a serious offense, equivalent to cheating or stealing. Students often commit plagiarism unintentionally due to their failure to correctly use footnotes or endnotes in their written work. Click here to read the document Guide to Footnotes, Bibliographies, and Avoiding Plagiarism prepared by our teachers to help you learn more on the subject.

You may want to contact the lecturer of the course that you took, as distinct from tutors. Please provide in the email a brief explanation on the purpose of this reference letter, and on your experience with the Department, as well as some basic information such as your student number and deadlines of submission.

For an academic or job reference (not applicable to internship applications), please also send a CV, and a copy of the cover letter.

We usually make the call for travel grants applications around March every year.

Look out for emails and posters on the Department’s notice board.

If you go to our Department’s OPAC Online Catalogue, you will be able to access your borrowing record and renew the borrowed item(s) three times before you have to physically bring the item(s) back to the Resource Centre.

Notice however, if there is a request for the item from another user, you would not be able to renew it online.