All courses offered in the department are assessed by 100% coursework. Coursework may include essays, research papers, tests, participation in tutorials and seminars, oral presentations, and other work as specified by the course instructor.
The Major in Fine Arts (2012-13 and after)
Students who enter HKU in 2012-13 or after who wish to major in Fine Arts must normally complete the following requirements:
- Complete one 1000-level 6-credit Fine Arts course
- Complete 12 credits of introductory courses from any Arts programme(s) (which may include additional credits in 1000-level Fine Arts courses)
- Complete 54 credits of Fine Arts courses from among those offered at the 2000-, 3000-, and 4000-levels, of which:
– 6 credits must be the course FINE2081 Art History and Its Methods
– 6 credits must be in Western art
– 6 credits must be in Asian art
– 6 credits must be in 3000-level courses (12 credits for students entering before 2016)
– 6 credits must be in a 4000-level course to fulfill the capstone requirement
The Minor in Fine Arts (2012-13 and after)
Students who enter HKU in 2012-13 or after who wish to minor in Fine Arts must normally complete the following requirements:
- Complete one 6-credit Fine Arts course at the 1000-level
- Complete 30 credits of Fine Arts courses from among those offered at the 2000- and 3000-levels
For complete regulations, please consult the Arts Faculty’s B.A. syllabus.
Faculty Cap Policy on Credit Transfer
(effective from 2014-15 onwards)
This policy is applicable to:
- all HKU students admitted to the 4-year curriculum in 2012-13 and thereafter, who take any Arts major/ minor; and
- those who go on outgoing academic exchange from 2014-15 onwards.
Up to 50% of the transferred credits to HKU can be counted towards each of the Arts major/ minor requirements. In other words, students should complete at least 50% of each of the Arts major/ minor requirements at HKU.
- Max. no. of exchange credits allowed to be transferred to HKU:
Arts Major: 36 credits
Arts Minor: 18 credits
- Min. no. of credits completed at HKU:
Arts Major: 36 or 42 credits
Arts Minor: 18 credits
- Total no. of credits:
Arts Major: 72 or 78 credits
Arts Minor: 36 credits
Transferred credits in excess of the cap as approved by the major/ minor offering Programme(s) will be counted as free elective(s) for the undergraduate degree only.
It should be noted that the above policy does not affect BA students who take non-Arts major/minors. Students concerned are required to comply with regulations or policies of respective faculties.